If you have any media inquiries about the event, please contact Marketing & Communications Coordinator Ben Rawluk at 604-742-4912 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected Media Coverage
- 2015 Ascent for Alzheimer’s
YouTube, October 5, 2015.
Jeff Campbell took his GoPro camera along on the 2015 hike to capture some footage from the team’s journey.
- Sights Set on Kilimanjaro Summit
Nanaimo News Bulletin, July 23, 2015.
Jeff Campbell is hoping to scale Mt. Kilimanjaro in order to help those diagnosed and families of Alzheimer’s disease overcome the mountain-sized obstacles they face.
- Ascent for Alzheimer’s
Youtube, July 1, 2015.
Jeff Campbell trains for his Ascent on Mt. Benson in Nanaimo, B.C.
- Husband-and-wife team set to tackle Kilimanjaro
Delta Optimist, June 10, 2015.
Cops from Tsawwassen part of Alzheimer’s fundraiser.
- Ascent for Alzheimer’s
Comox Valley Record, June 9, 2015.
When Debbie Craig climbs Mt. Kilimanjaro later on this year, she’ll be doing it for a client – and a friend.
- Local cops climb Mount Kilimanjaro to help Alzheimer’s Society of B.C.
CKNW The Simi Sara Show, June 2, 2015.
Two local police officers, Lisa Heiberg and Doug Spencer, will be joining the Ascent for Alzheimer’s 2015 Team to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa in support of Alzheimer’s research, education, and community outreach.
- The Tale of the Trek: Octogenarians Climbing Kilimanjaro & Setting World Records
Misadvantures Out + Beyond, June 2, 2015.
How octogenarians Martin and Esther Kafer climbed Kilimanjaro, set a world record and found both hope and despair.
- Fundraiser to Draw Awareness to Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Whistler Question, May 25, 2015.
Ascent for Alzheimer’s hosting barbecue and auction on June 7.
- Climbing Africa’s Roof
Pique Whistler, March 10, 2015.
2015 participants Erika and Kim Durlacher are climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise money for research into the disease that has impacted Erika’s husband and Kim’s father,Peter.
- Silver Linings: Ascending for Alzheimer’s
Whistler Question, March 2, 2015.
2015 participants Erika and Kim Durlacher will climb Mt. Kilimanjaro as part of the Ascent for Alzheimer’s team.
- Chemainus Couple Prepare to Hike Mt.Kilimanjaro
Chemaius Valley Courier, July 2014.
2014 participants Kevin Root and Lynn Tetarenko-Root speak on how their lives have been impacted by dementia and how it has driven them to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Climbing in Memory of His Grandfather.
Kamloops This Week, p. 4, Jun. 24 2014.
2014 participant Ben Creasser speaks about his grandfather’s journey with Alzheimer’s disease and how it has inspired him to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Making a Difference: Barbara Devlin, partner with Alexander Holburn.
National Magazine, March 2014.
2012 participant Barbara Delvin speaks about her Ascent experience.
- Former Province staffer ready to tackle Kilimanjaro for Alzheimer’s Charity.
The Province, Sept. 15, 2013 – Oct. 8, 2013.
In this series, 2013 member Janet Ingram-Johnson blogs about the experience of the 2013 Ascent, while sharing the stories of those on her team.
- Kilimanjaro record broken for oldest couple: Guinness record for Kafers, who trained around Whistler and climbed Africa’s highest mountain in 2012.
Pique, February 2013.
An article confirming that Esther and Martin Kafer, 2012 Ascent participants, became the oldest man and woman to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.